Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snow, Babies and other such Nonsense...

Hate me all you want, but I live at the beach. No seriously. I love the beach. After recent developments in my life, I've discovered I will never leave this area unless I am moving to another beach, because I want the new person in my life to be a total beach bum, just like me. But, I love snow. It makes everything magical. This is a picture of my front yard a couple weeks ago, covered in 8 inches of snow! I loved it! Oh joy! And it'll be another 7 years before we get a snow like this again, which is the beauty of living at the beach. But I digress.

This was going to be my year. The year where I changed everything about myself that I didn't like and by the end of this year, I was supposed to sigh in contentment, lighter in weight, eating healthier, more knowledgeable and with a better job. Apparently, God heard me making plans and decided to remind me once again, that no, you are not completely in control of your life.

I'm pregnant. And believe me, nothing is more shocking than discovering that you are pregnant while sitting on a toilet at your local Target and one of your friend's 2 year old son is peeking his head underneath the bathroom stall door while you inform him "No, sorry, this is so NOT a moment I want to share with you." Its a very complicated emotion right now. But my family and the boy's family are extremely excited. My parents are going to be grandparents and most of my extended family members are so excited, which is helping me become more excited about it. Its not how I planned it at all. I was going to do things different. Get hitched and then get knocked up, but I suppose in the end, you gotta roll with it all. I'm hormonally deranged though. Its real bad. I've recently discovered the cream cheese is amazing, especially on Nila Wafers. I almost leaped through a drive thru window in a fit of anger when a customer started yelling at me for something that was not my fault. I showed up for my first baby doctor appointment a week early. You might as well get used to this. We've got a lot more of it to come.

I'm trying to figure out what direction my life is heading in right now. Now that I'm about to become a mom (WHOA!), my whole outlook on what I was going to do with my life has changed. Career wise, I'm not sure where I stand anymore. I want a career of some kind, but I also want to raise my child. I want to be there when she (or he, to be fair) rolls over, sits up, talks, smiles and walks. I don't want to be a part time mom, which means I may have accidentally just turned myself into a part time career woman for the next 5 years or so. I really don't know for sure. I have to do research and figure things out. I guess its a good thing a woman is pregnant for 9 months. Gives her time to figure out where the hell she is going.

No comments: