Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Long Haul...

Gag me with a spoon if you want, but like I recently mentioned, me and the boy have hit 6 months. This is a big deal for me personally, but not for the reason you'd probably think. I'm pretty sure this is the longest relationship I've had up to this point, so at least at this particular moment, I am officially capable of staying in and maintaining a decent relationship for an extended period time, which after the last few years, I wasn't sure if I could actually pull off. For me and the boy, one, we didn't even realize it until two days after we made it "official" and when we did, it was more or less "Hey, we've been together 6 months ::pause:: Neat, want to watch a movie?" I mean its cool, but when we get to year, then we'll throw confetti at each other and do something ridiculous like go see a ridiculous movie or feed each other chocolate covered strawberries...actually, scratch that, if that happens, I'm going to need someone to haul me off to the looney bin for an extended stay. I'll feed myself chocolate strawberries, thanks anyways.


The point of this rather silly and drawn out story though, is that we've been together for 6 months and again me and a friend got into a discussion recently about...forever. F-O-R-E-V-E-R, forever. The long haul. Are we, as average, everyday human beings really meant to be together forever? We came to the initial conclusion that this might not be the case. Maybe we are supposed to have more than one person in our life, the idea that there's not just one person out there, because really, when we thought about it, that was a pretty scary thought, because what if you don't find that one person?


But, then we started thinking about couples who we knew who had done forever. Actually, i started that, because (1) I'm the eternal optimist and (2) for every one person who says you can't do it, I can always think of one couple who managed to beat the odds and stick it out for the long haul and be happy about it, my aunt and uncle who were together for 52 years. They went through the good, the bad and the ugly together. Dealing with the death of her parents and the repercussions that had on their life (they were taking care of kids before they had their own), financial troubles, losing two children in childbirth, raising 5 kids of their own, the death of his mother, buying a home and staying there for 40 years, going on their own adventures across the country, spending time with their nieces, nephews and grand kids and great grand kids, my aunt's life changing crippling knee injury and subsequent knee surgery, the celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary and then the subsequent decline in health of my uncle from asbestosis and his eventual death almost two years later. They went through a ton together. Some of those things would've caused one of the two partner's to walk away if it was any other combination of people, but they stuck it out together. And, I can honestly say that I have never met two people who were happy to be with each other. I mean, my uncle drove my aunt totally nuts sometimes, especially with his 5000 projects that he worked on around the house that never got totally finished and his inability to allow anyone to help in the kitchen during Christmas. And, my aunt drove my uncle nuts with her need to invite 7000 people over to the house during Christmas, her need to vacuum every single day, and the fact that they had managed to house birds, dogs, and several children and grandchildren over again. My aunt is a softy for anything with big eyes and a sad face. But, they loved each other, no matter what, and you could see that constantly.

My biggest memory from my Uncle's funeral was when I walked up to his casket and talked to my aunt for a few minutes, who was standing over him and just had her hand resting over his. She looked at me and told me that she just didn't know what she would do without him anymore. She was surrounded by so many people, her family, her friends and the community they lived in, but she had never felt so alone in her life. He had been the one true constant in her life for over 52 years, and all she could think about was how much she missed him, and how much she wished that he would get up out of that casket, so that he could help guide her through how she was going to handle all of this. I think that's when I realized how scary that feeling must be, to be on your own after the one person you've spent 50 years making decisions with is not there to help you. It would scare the crap out of me. At the same time though, that's exactly what I want.


Its such a nice idea, the idea that you can find someone who you can tolerate for longer than 15 minutes, who you can share everything with and still find more to share with them. You help each other get through the good and the bad, and you really are in it for the long haul, no matter what. I've met plenty of people that for them, when the going gets tough, they get the hell out. Its understandable, especially if you have the ability to walk away, to go ahead and walk away. Plus, you've got to know your tolerance level, what you can deal with and what you can't deal with. I also think it depends upon what kind of relationship you have with the person you're with. Sometimes, no matter how good or bad a situation is, you realize you can't be with them, and maybe its just the realization that you aren't supposed to be with this particular person, so I guess you keep going and hope that the right person is out there. I just know its a really nice idea. And maybe its my watching of silly chick flicks, but geez, I hope its true. I mean if its not I suppose I'll live, but, for once, just once, I'd like to believe that its possible that two people can love each other forever. And, not kill each other in the process anyways.

2 comments:

Erica said...

The story about your aunt and uncle made me tear up a little. This is probably your best blog so far.

Anonymous said...

Agreed.
I used to (and still do) think that way sometimes about having one person out there for you. What if my person lives in another country? I mean, really! That's why "soulmates" is such a difficult term for me to grasp. I think a relationship, any relationship, takes hard work and patience. If it's very easy, you're not trying hard enough, and it's not going to last.
And honestly, your aunt and uncle went through a lot. And I've learned that it's actually not the hard times that tear you apart--95% of the time, they bring you closer together in the face of tragedy. Otherwise, who can you turn to?