Friday, May 16, 2008

Its rare but it happens...

I'm going to take one moment out of my blog that is usually reserved for my random life ramblings to show you something of a big impact to our nation. Well, I don't know if its a big impact, but its a reflection of the impact that a person can have on another person. Granted he's in the media, but you've got to give him props for his ballsiness.



I normally do not talk about my opinions on politics and war. In all truth, I have much stronger opinions about the war, than I do about politics itself. Maybe they are entertwined, but in all honesty, nothing gets me more hopped up some days than the war.

I have been against the war for quite a while. If nothing else, I've always felt that the war was an excuse to keep the country distracted while there were a lot of other things going on behind the scenes to benefit everyone except this country and the world at large. It was the benefit the big guys, the man. Not to help save the world from terrorism. The world hasn't been saved. We've got big, huge problems throughout the world, from the cyclone disaster in Myanmar and the earthquake in China, to Global Warming, to the recession of this country and the financial distress that exists in many other countries, to the lack of general caring about anyone else or those in need. But that's the thing. My dad told me recently that "Charity starts at home." And I believe that with all my heart. Its not a selfish thing, its about the idea that before you can fix anyone else's problems, you have to fix your own. And yes, we were attacked. But our country's President tried using the rather flimsily disguised excuse that we had to save the world from terrorism. And for some reason we marched into Iraq, the country that didn't even attack us and now we've lost many men and women over a war that no one still understands the true reason behind to this day. It wasn't about helping anyone or saving anyone. It was about looking good to the world and money and many other reasons that we may never know. Maybe if we had fixed problems within our own country first, we would be able to help other people now. Or hell, maybe we would be able to help ourselves now if we had just stayed out of a country we had no business going in, in the first place.

Ok, sorry, I know. Pushing political beliefs and opinions on others, is against my very nature. I just needed a rant I suppose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you just wrote an entry stating how you apologize too much. Maybe you should go back to that last sentence in this entry, and NOT apologize for your own opinion. It's totally unnecessary because it's your opinion (not to mention it's right). Just a thought.

Erica said...

Liz beat me to it. I was going to ask you if you understand that the purpose of a blog is to state your opinions. You don't have to sugar coat anything or apologize. If people don't like your opinions, they can just deal with it because it's your blog.

That aside, I hadn't seen Olbermann's rant yet. And I rarly/never watch videos that other people post, especially not ones that last 12 minutes and 7 seconds. But basically I agree whole-hearted with what he said and feel it was about time that someone just flat out told W to "Shut the hell up."

Flaherty said...

I do understand that the blog is about my opinion. I apologize not for the opinion itself, but about the idea of shoving that opinion down people's throats. I'm pretty sure people are tired of having opinions shoved down their throat by yet another person who's ranting about the same thing that everyone else is ranting about. As for the opinion itself, well its my opinion, so there ya go.

That being said, Olbermann's rant intrigued me enough to write my opinion about this topic for once. I think he's totally right. He's in the media for sure, which may make some question the motives. But I give him points for putting it out there and telling Dubya to shut the hell up. If Dubya would actually listen, that would be even better.