Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What is this world coming to?

In my line of work, its pretty important to know what's going on around you. I mean, you know, you watch the news, read the paper, check out the internet and you see what's going on. I mean most of it is everyday stuff that we are "used" to, for lack of a better word...fire here, assault there, Bush screwed something up again, congress fighting again, price of gas going up, its all stuff that we as a country have become used to. And as a part of the media, I've become used to it too. I know that Nikki is going to report on atleast two of those items everyday, if not more. Its the way of the world.

But even I have a hard time swallowing some of the stuff I see and read about. There is a moment, where I suddenly become aware of the world around me and wonder "When is enough enough? What is it going to take for people to become aware?"

I was on Drudge Report, where this guy Matt Drudge puts together news headlines on his website from around the world and a listing of the major television/newpaper/magazine websites. I haven't looked at it in a few days, so I figured I'd check it out. And just below the main headline (which is about some British newspaper reporting that the US is in the middle of the new Great Depression, geez, wonderful) there was a headline that I just couldn't ignore...Group of Third Graders Plot to Attack Teacher...WHAT?!...Do you know what I was plotting in the third grade? How to get a new box of crayons from my mom! And this wasn't a small group of like 2 or 3 kids, this was like 11 kids. Eleven 9-10 year olds sitting there plotting how to hurt someone.

I officially don't understand anymore. Any of it. For a second. I mean how did those kids get there? Seriously? I want to know. As it was, the house I lived in, my mom did her best to keep the violence off the TV and me out of the house and stuff. Ok, no ones perfect and I saw stuff on the news, but even that wouldn't drive me to be an angry kid and go "Let's hurt someone" or be a kid who goes "Hey, sounds like a good idea to hurt someone". Again, I don't understand...and i'm trying to. Or atleast rationalize it.

No, you know what, i'm not trying to do either of those things. I'm trying to find the answer to fix this. To fix the state that our society, our world has seemed to slip into. And of course, the first step to fixing a problem is knowing the ins and outs of the problem. But I think even if I know that, I still won't even come close to a solution on how to fix this. I mean how do you fix the way people think, and the "Hyena" complex of going with the group. You can't fix those things necessarily. Half of it is innate, instinctual...half of it is common sense. Which there seems to be a real lack of right now.

Truthfully, I'm an optimistic person. Because I want to fix it. And because I can't allow myself to become downtrodden with the state of the world. 1, I have to believe that not EVERYONE in the world is this way. Also, I mean I do have my own things to tackle personally, which I have to fix before I can go around fixing the world's problems. At the same time, its awfully hard to stay optimistic when you read those things everyday. I still believe the world is going to get better one day, or at least I want to believe that. I just think its going to take a really long time to get there. And its going to take more than just me realizing that there's a lot going on in the world that needs a little or a lot of fixing.

I don't know. I just don't know somedays.

No comments: